Congradulations Rep. Elise Stefanik, NY-21
Today the Montgomery County Republican Club would like to congratulate Rep. Elise Stefanik, NY-21 on her election to the chair of House Republican Conference Chair.
Congresswoman Elise Stefanik proudly represents New York’s 21st District in the House of Representatives in her fourth term in office. She is a member of the House Armed Services Committee, the Committee on Education and Labor, and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. On the Armed Services Committee, Congresswoman Stefanik serves as the Ranking Member on the new Subcommittee on Cyber, Innovative Technologies, and Information Systems, and as a member of the subcommittee on Strategic Forces. On the Committee on Education and Labor, she serves on the Higher Education and Workforce Investment, and Workforce Protections.
Congresswoman Stefanik was born and raised in Upstate New York. Prior to serving in Congress, she worked at her family’s small business. Her upbringing in a small business family taught her the hard work and perseverance necessary to build, operate and grow small businesses in the North Country. As the first member of her immediate family to graduate from college, Congresswoman Stefanik graduated with Honors from Harvard University.
- Creating jobs and economic opportunities for small businesses and hard-working families in Upstate New York.
- Reducing the excessive, burdensome tax and regulatory burdens facing small businesses by reforming the tax code and eliminating red tape.
- Protecting Fort Drum and advocating for veterans and military families.
- Expanding access to broadband throughout the district.
- Supporting Upstate farmers – the backbone of our North Country communities.
- Repealing Obamacare and replacing it with common sense solutions to lower health care costs and improve quality and access.
- Promoting and strengthening U.S.-Canadian trade relations to increase economic prosperity in North Country communities along the border.
- Fighting for fiscal responsibility by balancing the budget and protecting and preserving entitlements.
- Pursuing energy policies that help North Country families and businesses.
- Finding solutions for hard working North Country families to help make education higher quality and more affordable.
- Successfully led the New York State delegation in saving Fort Drum from up to 16,000 military personnel cuts due to sequestration.
- Authored the Be Open Act – legislation that passed the House of Representatives and was signed into law by the President. This was the largest fix to Obamacare of the 114th Congress and repealed the auto-enrollment mandate that reduces choices in health coverage and has created confusion that can lead to significant tax penalties on both the employer and employee.
- Authored the Flexible Pell Grant for 21st Century Students Act — bipartisan legislation developed from her higher education roundtables that will help students complete a postsecondary education quickly and at a lower cost.
Helped pass the Bipartisan Budget Act – a two year budget agreement that lifted the devastating defense sequester cuts and put an end to crisis-to-crisis governing.
- Was the sole freshman negotiator for two consecutive years on the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and fought hard to include language to help protect and strengthen Fort Drum.
- Co-authored U.S./Canadian pre-clearance legislation that passed the House of Representatives in 2016 and will help grow North Country commerce, tourism and border security.
- Brought a new commitment to transparency to Congress, posting her legislative votes to Facebook and keeping her website updated with her legislative work and public schedule.
- Has worked hard on behalf of North Country veterans, helping to recover hard earned benefits from the VA and helping pass critical legislation to support our North Country heroes, including the Clay Hunt Suicide
- Prevention for American Veterans Act.
- Helped pass the 21st Century Cures Act — critical, bipartisan legislation designed to help accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of promising new treatments and cures for patients with diseases ranging from Alzheimer’s to Lyme.