Meet Mike Hough Candidate for County Executive
“Do we continue to be a unique and wonderful community where people are proud to live, work, and raise a family? Or do we become Montgomery County North, with overcrowding, traffic gridlock, crime and high taxes? ”
COMMITMENT TO SERVE
After high school, Mike served as a Minuteman III Missile technician in the United States Air Force. He was stationed at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Mike went on to graduate from Towson University with a bachelor’s degree in political science.
In 2014, Mike was elected to the Maryland State Senate, representing Frederick and Carroll Counties. Mike was elected to the House in 2010, elected to the Senate in 2014 and re-elected in 2018.
Mike currently serves on the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee. He chaired Maryland’s Justice Reinvestment Supervision Subcommittee and the Criminal Gangs Task Force.
A Record of Bipartisan Leadership
- Passed the toughest county ethics law on taking developer donations in the state.
- Protected private property rights by reforming civil asset forfeiture.
- Helped create tougher penalties for heroin dealers by working with Gov. Hogan.
- Coauthored the largest criminal justice reform in Maryland history, which will allocate over $10 million into drug treatment, create second chances for non-violent offenders, and increase penalties for violent offenders, including child abusers.
- Sponsored and passed multiple bills to prevent child abuse.
Mike is a lifelong Maryland resident. He lives in Brunswick with his wife JoeyLynn and their three children, who all attend Frederick County Public Schools.
- Preserve open space and agricultural land. Such areas are our community’s pride and joy. We must stop overcrowding to protect Frederick County’s suburban quality of life from being swallowed by Montgomery County’s urban sprawl.
- We Must Prevent Overcrowding of Schools. My own children have had to attend overcrowded schools. I believe every child deserves personalized attention from teachers in an enriching space.
- Protect homeowners from higher property taxes. During my tenure in the Maryland General Assembly, I voted against every effort to raise taxes. I will continue doing so to keep life affordable for hardworking families.
- Alleviate traffic congestion along the I-270/US 15 corridor. Like so many families in Frederick County, my wife and I have lost countless hours stuck in traffic on I-270. We must work to reduce traffic gridlock.
- Support public safety. I have consistently voted to strengthen public safety during my time in the General Assembly. I strongly support Sheriff Jenkins’ 287(G) program to remove illegal immigrants who have committed crimes from Frederick County.